Erik Nordgren is a music composer for films, broadcast spots, and other visual media. Having grown up on hardcore punk bands such as Refused and Converge, his musical style draws influence from their frantic energy and punchy rhythms, often blending the genre into both comedic and dramatic scores. While he specializes in orchestral and contemporary film music, Erik's work crosses over into electronic, minimalist, and rock territory often.
A multi-instrumentalist, Erik is known most notably for his work in classical and jazz piano but also plays guitar, bass guitar, and bass clarinet. Erik has given clinics and directed jazz ensembles, woodwind/brass chamber groups, and concert bands. His performance history covers a wide range of genres and instruments to conducting & rehearsing ensembles for concert.
As a recent Berklee Film Scoring grad, Erik has exceptional experience in recording, mixing, editing, and dubbing environments for film, as well as extensive training in composition and conducting by Berklee's esteemed Film Scoring and Composition departments. Erik has taught jazz & traditional harmony, conducting, and ear training in Berklee's Learning Center (an on-campus tutoring resource) since 2016.
His work in the independent film space includes composing credits for up-and-coming directors, such as dUMB Productions' Zach Robinson & Gunner Willis, Erika Arbak, and Rory Padgett, as well as library and demo work for audio production companies like Butter Music & Sound. Erik has also written for branded content for a number of years, as well as directed, and shot several independent productions.
A product of Southeastern Wisconsin’s jazz scene, Erik considers his high-school band leader, Ken Wiele, a mentor and life-long friend.
achievements & Awards
- Bachelor of Music - Film Scoring minoring in Contemporary Conducting; Berklee College of Music
- Berklee North American Scholarship
- Berklee Merit Scholarship
- Berklee Achievement Grant
- Woody Herman/Sister Fabian Jazz Award
- Composition for advertising clients such as Levi's & Clash Of Clans (through Butter Music & Sound)
- Collaboration & studies with Julie Dash (filmmaker), Geneviève Leclair (conductor - National Ballet of Canada), Ruth Mendelson (Emmy nominated, Telly & Hugo award-winning composer)